The holiday season is almost upon us, which means it’s time to get your home ready for the festivities. However, as much as we love this time of year, it can also bring some plumbing problems that can quickly put a damper on the celebrations. With friends and family visiting throughout the season, your plumbing system is going to have to work harder than usual, which can lead to some unpleasant surprises. Luckily, there are a few things you can do to prevent these issues. In this blog post, we’ll go over some tips to keep your plumbing safe and sound during the holidays.
- Invest in a Garbage Disposal: When you have a house full of guests, you’re going to be cooking and serving food non-stop. This means lots of waste and scraps. While it might be tempting to throw everything down the drain, it’s essential to keep in mind that some items, like grease, eggshells, and stringy vegetables, can clog your pipes. Having a garbage disposal installed can help keep your kitchen drain clear and avoid any holiday plumbing disasters.
- Check Your Water Heater: With extra people taking showers and doing laundry, your water heater is going to be working overtime. It’s essential to make sure that it’s up to the task, so schedule a maintenance check before the holidays begin. If your water heater is older, it might be time to consider replacing it with a more efficient model, which can help you save money in the long run.
- Be Careful what Goes Down the Toilet: It may seem like common sense, but it’s worth repeating: only flush toilet paper down the toilet. Anything else, like baby wipes, feminine hygiene products, or cotton balls, can damage your plumbing and cause a clog. Make sure you communicate this to your guests and provide a trash can in the bathroom to dispose of any non-toilet paper items.
- Watch for Leaks: During the colder months, the sudden temperature changes can cause pipes to contract and expand, making them more susceptible to leaks. Keep an eye out for any signs of leakage, such as damp spots around the house, corroded pipes, or mold. If you notice anything out of the ordinary, it’s essential to call a licensed plumber right away.
- Call for Professional Help: Lastly, the most crucial thing you can do to keep your plumbing safe and sound during the holidays is to call in the professionals if you encounter any issues. At US Plumbing, we offer 24-hour emergency plumbing service, so you can relax and enjoy the holidays while we take care of any unexpected plumbing problems.
The holiday season is a time to relax, spend time with family and friends, and celebrate. However, with more people using your plumbing system, it’s crucial to take precautions and protect your home from any potential plumbing problems. By following our tips and calling in the professionals at US Plumbing when needed, you can enjoy a happy and stress-free holiday season.